The ESX-3XL is a highly adaptable, scalable, powerful controller with up to 136 I/O points. Its innovative expansion board architecture provides controls engineers with the flexibility to future-proof their design. Six expansion board slots can be used to add I/O and communications capabilities in the initial design or at later stages when enhanced functionality is desired. The expansion board architecture also ensures that a design is optimized for the specific requirements of the mobile application without sacrificing durability.
The ESX-3XL provides up to 136 software-configurable inputs and outputs. Due to the modular design, 72 of the 136 inputs and outputs are customizable and can be configured for any application.
The base version, with 52 inputs and outputs, provides 4 CAN interfaces and 1 RS232 serial interface. Additional CAN or RS232 interfaces, as well as other communication interfaces like Ethernet or USB can be added easily.
The processor system of the ESX-3XL, based on the powerful TriCore TC1796 from Infineon, is clocked at 150 MHz and is backed by 4 MB of RAM and 6 MB of Flash. A buzzer for audio alarms, and system and user LEDs for diagnostics help troubleshoot the system without the need for any special software tools.
The ESX-3XL is freely programmable in CoDeSys (version 3.x), in the ‘C’ Language, or with a Matlab/Simulink support package. All of the inputs, outputs and communications port are fully accessible and configurable through extensive BIOS libraries.
The system is designed for safety-related applications according to SIL2/ISO 61508. Safety features are controlled by a separate, independent microcontroller. Safety functions are available both in CoDeSys and in the C programming language. A complete safety manual is available along with the extensive help files that fully document the ESX-3XL hardware and software.
- Up to 136 I/O
- 2×81 Pin Sealed Automotive Connectors
- IP 67 Environmental Rating
- 4 Status LEDs (2 System, 2 User)
- 28 Multi-function inputs
- 12-bit resolution
- Voltage, current, or frequency
- Software-adjustable voltage range, 0-5, 10 or 40 V
- Frequency measurement up to 20 kHz
- 24 PWM or digital high-side outputs (8x4A, 16×2.5A) with voltage and current feedback
- 3 independent adjustable regulator outputs for sensor supply
- 4xCANbus 2.0B ports with hardware gateway functionality
- RS-232 port
- C with API Library (SIL2 safety features available)
- CoDeSys (SIL2 safety features available)
The 3XL has room for up to six expansion modules to customize the ESX-3XL controller to the specific needs of the application and also allow for future growth without re-design. With 14 pins each they can provide additional inputs or outputs, a motor bridge driver, communications interfaces, or a complete logging unit with 1GB of flash memory.
Both the ESX-3XL and the ESX-3XM have the following options for expansion boards:
- Expansion Board EB02: 12x digital in, 1x digital out
- Expansion Board EB03: RTC, 2x RS232, 1 MB Dataflash, 4x analog in (voltage)
- Expansion Board EB03: 2x RS485 (half-duplex), RTC, 1 MB dataflash, 4x Uin
- Expansion Board EB04: 12x digital out (2.5A)
- Expansion Board EB04: 12x digital out (PVG)
- Expansion Board EB05: 8xPWM out (4A), 4x digital in
- Expansion Board EB05: 8x PWM out (4A) current feedback 150 mA, 4x digital in
- Expansion Board EB06: (requires 3 expansion slots): 10x digital outputs (2A), 6x PWM outputs (2A), 1x analog output (0-20mA or 5-10V), 16x multi-function inputs, 2x current inputs, 2x resistance measurements (500..2500 Ω)
- Expansion Board EB07: PowerPC, Linux OS, 1 GB data flash, CAN, USB, Ethernet, RTC
- Expansion Board EB08: 8 digital out low side, 4 analog in
- Expansion Board EB08: 8 PWM out low side, 4 analog in
- Expansion Board EB09: 12 multi-function inputs and one Ureg
- Expansion Board EB10: 4x CAN + 1x RS232
- Expansion Board EB11: 6x analog output, 6x analog input
These expansion boards can be configured in any combination, thus creating an almost boundless number of controller options. Work with our sales engineers to create your own unique solution!
In addition, new expansion boards can be customized to your exact specifications, providing you a proprietary solution for your unique vehicle requirements. Click here or contact us to learn more about customization. We would love to discuss customization options with you.